Best Mattress for Pregnancy
Your body is going through rapid changes when pregnant which can also cause chaos in your system and even affect your sleep.
Being pregnant is an exhilarating and blissful experience but it also comes with a lot of challenges, both physical and emotional. This includes the effects it has on your sleep as mentioned.
If your old mattress only makes the things worse then why stick with a mattress that is worn out and that does not provide you with the amount of comfort and support you need during pregnancy?
It may be the right time for you to get the new one and hopefully this guide will help you make the right choice and choose the best mattress for pregnancy. Last updated
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Mattresses for Pregnancy
|Claim My Discount →|
|View Latest Price →|
|View Latest Price →|
Link between Pregnancy and Lack of Sleep
Sleep is considered very important during pregnancy as it ensures good health for you and your baby.
You may feel really exhausted even during your first trimester which means that you need plenty of rest and quality sleep. Afternoon naps and restful nighttime sleep is a must for expectant moms.
Although sleep matters a lot when pregnant, a huge number of pregnant women are not getting enough sleep. According to reports, around 75% of pregnant women are sleep-deprived.
Pregnancy can cause you to wake up frequently during the night because of the need to empty the bladder.
You will experience this for the first time in the first trimester and it will continue and become worse through the second and third trimesters due to the growing baby in the uterus that puts strain on the bladder. In such cases going back to sleep can be really difficult.
Besides this, other problems such as pain in the back, pain and aches due to the stretching of muscles and ligaments, heartburn, sleep apnea, nausea, and snoring can also appear during pregnancy and worsen as the baby grows.
If you are feeling moody and blue, this is normal as pregnancy is also known to trigger anxiety, depression, or even panic attacks. You get mixed emotions when expecting a baby. You may get jittery or feel nervous yet excited all at the same time. This can hamper or disrupt good sleep.
What to Look for in a Mattress for Pregnancy?
- Memory Foam and/or Latex – Physicians recommend for pregnant women to sleep on their side. This is good news for women who already consider themselves side sleepers. Memory foam layers or a combination of latex and memory foam can provide that soft and comfortable surface essential for a good night’s sleep. Innerspring mattresses or models with pocketed coils may be a good choice as well for the support they give, but sometimes they may not be so comfortable.
- Cool Surface – Most pregnant women often sleep hot so cooling technology features are a big plus in choosing a mattress. Gel foams or similar cooling technologies will help you cool down and get a better sleep even in a hot weather.
- Medium Firmness – Most pregnant women get up and urinate a lot of times at night which calls for a medium firm option. While a super soft model is comfy and plush, it will not provide you with the amount of support you need to get up from the bed. Your body will sink into it which will make it difficult for you to move or get up to go the bathroom when you need to. A medium firm mattress will have just the right firmness level to provide both comfort and support needed for an expectant mom.
- Motion Isolation – Frequent wakefulness can be a problem especially when you share the bed with a partner. Avoid disturbance of sleep with a model that has great motion isolation features and that will also distribute your weight evenly across the bed.
Top Picks On Best Mattress For Pregnancy
Pregnancy may feel like being on a rollercoaster all the time, but the good news is that the right mattress can provide you with the much-deserved sleep. Here are our top recommendations on the best mattresses for pregnancy.
1. Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
($4399 for a Queen, save up to 30% on select models of Tempur Pedic by clicking here and ordering online vs in a store!)
The new updated version of the Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze provides you with that classic memory foam feel with the plush support of TEMPUR material that is very responsive and conforms to your body movements and shape.
It also adapts to your body temperature and helps dissipate heat when necessary to achieve a cool sleep. If you choose it, you won’t have to worry about heat retention.
The Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with excellent motion isolation that will leave you undisturbed even with a partner who moves around in bed a lot during the night.
The Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all foam mattress that provides a plush feel and yet offers enough support necessary for proper spinal alignment. Excellent edge support that it offers is ideal for pregnant women who want a durable model that can grow with them and their changing needs.
And the fact that you can now order Tempur Pedic mattresses online and save up to 30% on select models and other deals makes it even better!
Get the full TEMPUR-PEDIC mattress review.
2. IDLE Gel Plush
($1249 for a Queen. Click here for the best price on the IDLE Gel Plush mattress!)
The IDLE Gel Plush mattress is a great 14″ gel infused mattress blended with 100% natural 500GSM IceCool cotton covers that will provide you with the feeling of sleeping on clouds and help you stay refreshed all night long.
The IDLE Gel Plush mattress is a universal comfort mattress that comes in only one firmness option designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers with different needs and sleep preferences, including pregnant women.
The mattress provides excellent support for all sleeping styles and all types of sleepers and it also sleeps incredibly cool due to the use of various cooling technologies in its cover and the foam layers.
The cooling features as well as good support makes the IDLE Gel Plush a great mattress for pregnancy as it provides the right contour and support, keeps you cool and comfortable all night long and eliminates any discomfort.
Get the full IDLE Gel Plush mattress review.
($999 for a Queen. Get the Novosbed mattress.)
The Novosbed mattress is an 11″ mattress made up of 3 layers of dense foams and a quality polyester, silica, modacrylic, and Tencel cover that has a very nice soft textured pattern to it which gives the mattress a great feel through the covers.
It is offered in 3 firmness options and also has a zippered top which does not only give you the possibility to remove it for cleaning but which also enables you to add the Comfort + top kit.
Comfort + top kit serves as an additional layer that can either increase or decrease the firmness level of the mattress.
This layer combined with the foam layers beneath does a great job at providing both comfort necessary for pregnant women who prefer sleeping on their side and enough firmness to keep their spines properly aligned. It is ideal for all sleeping positions and all types of sleepers, particularly pregnant women.
Although it initially may feel a bit too firm and not as cushioned, after sleeping on it for an extended amount of time, your body will adapt to the mattress and mold perfectly to the memory foam without causing you to feel trapped in foam.