Best Mattress For Pregnancy
Your body is going through rapid changes when pregnant which can also cause chaos in your system and even affect your sleep. Being pregnant is an exhilarating and blissful experience but it also comes with a lot of challenges, both physical and emotional. This includes the effects it has on your sleep as mentioned.
If your old mattress only makes the things worse then why stick with a mattress that is worn out and that does not provide you with the amount of comfort and support you need during pregnancy? It may be the right time for you to get the new one and hopefully this guide will help you make the right choice and choose the best mattress for pregnancy. Last updated
Fact Check: Link between Pregnancy and Lack of Sleep
Sleep is considered very important during pregnancy as it ensures good health for you and your baby. You may feel really exhausted even during your first trimester which means that you need plenty of rest and quality sleep. Afternoon naps and restful nighttime sleep is a must for expectant moms.
Although sleep matters a lot when pregnant, a huge number of pregnant women are not getting enough sleep. According to reports, around 75% of pregnant women are sleep-deprived.
Pregnancy can cause you to wake up frequently during the night because of the need to empty the bladder. You will experience this for the first time in the first trimester and it will continue and become worse through the second and third trimesters due to the growing baby in the uterus that puts strain on the bladder. In such cases going back to sleep can be really difficult.
Besides this, other problems such as pain in the back, pain and aches due to the stretching of muscles and ligaments, heartburn, sleep apnea, nausea, and snoring can also appear during pregnancy and worsen as the baby grows.
If you are feeling moody and blue, this is also normal as pregnancy is also known to trigger anxiety, depression, or even panic attacks. You get mixed emotions when expecting a baby. You may get jittery or feel nervous yet excited all at the same time. This can hamper or disrupt good sleep.
What to Look for in a Mattress for Pregnancy?
- Memory Foam and/or Latex – Physicians recommend for pregnant women to sleep on their side. This is good news for women who already consider themselves side sleepers. Memory foam layers or a combination of latex and memory foam can provide that soft and comfortable surface essential for a good night’s sleep. Innerspring mattresses or models with pocketed coils may be a good choice as well for the support they give, but sometimes they may not be so comfortable.
- Cool Surface – Most pregnant women often sleep hot so cooling technology features are a big plus in choosing a mattress. Gel foams or similar cooling technologies will help you cool down and get a better sleep even in a hot weather.
- Medium Firmness – Most pregnant women get up and urinate a lot of times at night which calls for a medium firm option. While a super soft model is comfy and plush, it will not provide you with the amount of support you need to get up from the bed. Your body will sink into it which will make it difficult for you to move or get up to go the bathroom when you need to. A medium firm mattress will have just the right firmness level to provide both comfort and support needed for an expectant mom.
- Motion Isolation – Frequent wakefulness can be a problem especially when you share the bed with a partner. Avoid disturbance of sleep with a model that has great motion isolation features and that will also distribute your weight evenly across the bed.
Top Picks On Best Mattress For Pregnancy
Pregnancy may feel like being on a rollercoaster all the time, but the good news is that the right mattress can provide you with the much-deserved sleep. Here are our top recommendations on the best mattresses for pregnancy.
1. Loom & Leaf
($1499 for a Queen. Click here for the lowest price available on a Loom & Leaf)
Moms need some pampering and this is exactly what the Loom & Leaf can provide you during your 9-month journey to motherhood.
It is 12 inches thick and made of 4 layers of plant-based specialty memory foams which are breathable, hypoallergenic, and plush.
It also has a medical-grade cooling gel layer which creates a cool sleeping surface which is especially good for pregnant women who tend to sleep hot. The top cover is elegant and with a luxurious feel that will make you feel like a queen.
You have two levels of firmness to choose from – Firm (an 8 out of 10) and Relaxed Firm (a 5 out of 10). It’s great to have more options in terms of comfort and support levels. The degree of comfort depends on your weight too but the Loom and Leaf offers great contour and conforms very well to your body shape.
The Loom & Leaf is made by Saatva mattress company. It is very comfortable to sleep on, with the medium firmness that pregnant women need. The Firm model has less sinkage and better motion isolation which is especially good for couples. It is not a surprise that this mattress brand is quite a popular choice.
Get the full Loom & Leaf mattress review.
2. Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
($4499 for a Queen, save up to 30% on select models of Tempur Pedic by clicking here and ordering online vs in a store!)
The new updated version of the Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze provides you with that classic memory foam feel with the plush support of TEMPUR material that is very responsive and conforms to your body movements and shape.
It also adapts to your body temperature and helps dissipate heat when necessary to achieve a cool sleep. If you choose it, you won’t have to worry about heat retention.
The Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with excellent motion isolation that will leave you undisturbed even with a partner who moves around in bed a lot during the night.
The Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all foam mattress that provides a plush feel and yet offers enough support necessary for proper spinal alignment. Excellent edge support that it offers is ideal for pregnant women who want a durable model that can grow with them and their changing needs.
And the fact that you can now order Tempur Pedic mattresses online and save up to 30% on select models and other deals makes it even better!
Get the full TEMPUR-PEDIC mattress review.
($699 for a Queen. Click here for the new lower priced Nectar!)
The “forever warranty” seems to be working as Nectar Sleep’s tagline but it has to offer tons of other features. It is an excellent choice for expectant moms due to its high quality materials and comfort. It also comes at a very affordable price and has a long trial period.
It is 11 inches thick and composed of four layers of different foams. The top cover is made of Tencel which is plush and cool. It has that luxurious soft feel to it while the rest of the foams underneath provide great contour, motion isolation, and support.
This is ideal for pregnant women who carry weight for two as well as for couples because is responsive and doesn’t cause excessive sinkage.
It is categorized as medium firm, which means that it provides adequate comfort and support regardless of your sleeping position. The Nectar provides good support for the back, shoulder, and hips and will support you well during your pregnancy and afterwards.
Get the full Nectar mattress review.